1840s barracks located on the CNE grounds was the last
building occupied by British soldiers until 1870. Since being
taken over by the Canadian Government it has served a number
of functions and until recently was the Marine Museum. The RESTORERS
Group Inc. was contracted to restore the six sets of entrance
steps surrounding the building. Inadequate foundations had allowed
these steps to shift and settle over the years. Each stone was
carefully removed, catalogued and repaired for re-incorporation
into the steps. New concrete foundations were poured below each
staircase and the stones re-installed to their original locations.
The metal handrails were also restored to their original condition.